Friday, August 26, 2011

Publishing with Createspace

I just learned a lesson at Createspace about print-on-demand publishing.  When you upload a book onto Createspace, they make you an offer to join this thing called Pro Plan.  For forty dollars you can get a higher royalty and pay less for books that you personally buy.  I did this on my first two books, so I've spent eighty dollars up to this point.  I'm still in the hole even though a few books have sold.  Since I didn't have the money to do it again with Werewolves Rule, I looked to see what would happen if I didn't. 

If I don't pay them forty dollars and join the plan for this book, I only get sixty-nine cents per book.  That is with a charge for the customer of 12.99.  So Createspace does very well on this deal.  Me, on the other hand, not so good.  They will also charge me seven dollars per copy for the ones that I buy, and they charge such a high shipping rate that I'll be paying about ten dollars a book.  And this is why Werewolves Rule will not be in print for a while. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just working through CreateSpace. So are you saying that you are waiting until you have the $40? Be interesting to do the math and see how many books you have to sell to break-even with the lower royalty plan.

What was the Pro Plan? How much royalties would you be getting on 12.99? And what is the cost for author copies?

Thanks for the heads-up and look forward hopefully to your response.

Paul D. Dail
www.pauldail.com- A horror writer's not necessarily horrific blog

Kasi Blake said...

Yes, I'm going to wait until I have the money because if I don't then I only make .69 cents a copy for the 12.99 book, and I have to pay over seven dollars for each copy that I want. Plus shipping of course.

With the Pro Plan I make about two dollars a book in royalities, and I only have to pay three dollars and something for each copy that I buy. Also, with the plan they make your book available to Ingrams and some other book retailer. At least that's how I understood it. At least I can have ebook copies available to everyone.