Saturday, January 21, 2012

YA INDIE CARNIVAL: What I have learned from books.

This week we are going to talk about what we've learned from the books we've read.  In my case, there has been so much that I'm sure I can't remember.  My mother taught me how to read before I even started to school and I've been reading ever since.  I love to read... as all writers do, I'm sure.  So let's get started.  Hopefully inspiration will hit.  Please visit the other carnis below to see what they have to say.

I learned that a weak plot can be forgiven but not terrible characters.

I learned that you have to capture the reader's attention in the first few sentences or you've lost them because a lot of people stand at the bookstore and read a page or two before buying it.

I learned thar a bad cover can ruin a book's reputation before anyone has given it a chance.

I learned that you need to vary your scenes.  Too much narration or too much talking can ruin an otherwise good story.

I learned that publishers will publish good books and bad books while turning down other good books and bad books.

I learned you should always start the book with something interesting and end with a bang.

That's it.  Hope you enjoyed this short list. Next week join us for the exciting Interview with a Villain.


Laura A. H. Elliott author of Winnemucca & 13 on Halloween, Book 1 in the Teen Halloween Series2.Bryna Butler, author Midnight Guardian series
3.Heather Self4.T. R. Graves, Author of The Warrior Series
5.Suzy Turner, author of The Raven Saga6.Darby Karchut, author of GRIFFIN RISING
7.Lexus Luke8.Cheri Schmidt, author of the Fateful Trilogy
9.Rachel Coles, author of Into The Ruins, geek mom blog 10.K. C. Blake, author of Vampires Rule and Crushed
11.Patti Larsen, The Hunted series and The Hayle Coven series12.Amy Maurer Jones, Author of The Soul Quest Trilogy
13.Dani Snell's Refracted Light Reviews 14.Fisher Amelie, author of The Understorey
15.M. Leighton, Blood Like Poison Series, Madly, The Reaping 16.Abbi Glines, author of Breathe and The Vincent Boys
17.Kimberly Kinrade, Bits of You & Pieces of Me, Forbidden Mind18.Madeline Smoot, Missing, Summer Shorts, and The Girls
19.Cidney Swanson, author of Rippler20.Gwenn Wright, author of Filter
21.TG Ayer22.Melissa Pearl, author of Golden Blood

No comments: