Thursday, May 24, 2012

YA Indie Carnival: Location, Location, Location

This week at the Carnival w are writing about setting.  Where do we most enjoy writing about?  Where do our stories take place?  Where do our favorite stories by other authors take place?  Dystopian or historical?  Town or Country?  What do we enjoy writing about, and what do you enjoy reading about?  Let us know.

I know a lot of writers who enjoy writing about real places.  Personally, I would rather make up a town.  Why?  Well, for one thing I can put things where I want them.  Also, I won't get letters from angry people telling me that I messed up their town.  Stephen King got a ton of letters complaining that he messed stuff up in one of his books.  He had to add a disclaimer saying that he knew what he was doing and added an extra 'whatever it was' to the story for effect.

Vampires Rule takes places in a little town that I called Bliss, Nebraska.  I wanted somewhere with a lot of open space, somewhere that werewolves could run around free and enjoy life without worrying too much about being caught. 

In Witch Hunt, I don't even name the town.  That's right.  You heard me.  I didn't give the town a name, although I mention that it is in Rhode Island.  I purposely let the town go without a name because I wanted it to be thought of as your average town.  It could be anywhere.  It could be where you live.

In Crushed, I made up a town in California.  It was easy to write about that state because I grew up there.  I named the town Sol Moreno because a lot of towns in California have Spanish names.  If I'm not mistaken and I'm remembering my Spanish from high school well enough, I believe it stands for Sun Dark (or brunette).  If I'm wrong, please don't tell me.  I want to live in blissful ignorance.

When I read, I enjoy places that aren't real, especially ones set in fantastical worlds belonging only to the author's imagaination.  What setting do you enjoy the most?

Check out these other great sites and see what the Carnis have to say about settings.


1.Laura A. H. Elliott author of Winnemucca & 13 on Halloween, Book 1 in the Teen Halloween Series2.Bryna Butler, author Midnight Guardian series
3.Heather Self4.T. R. Graves, Author of The Warrior Series
5.Suzy Turner, author of The Raven Saga6.Cheri Schmidt, author of the Fateful Trilogy
7.Rachel Coles, author of Into The Ruins, geek mom blog 8.K. C. Blake, author of Vampires Rule and Crushed
9.Patti Larsen, The Hunted series and The Hayle Coven series10.Amy Maurer Jones, Author of The Soul Quest Trilogy
11.Fisher Amelie, author of The Understorey12.M. Leighton, Blood Like Poison Series, Madly, The Reaping
13.Cidney Swanson, author of Rippler14.Gwenn Wright, author of Filter
15.Melissa Pearl, Author of The Time Spirit Trilogy16.Heather M. White, author of The Destiny Saga
17.Courtney Cole Writes18.Liz Long | Just another writer on the loose.
19.Ella James20.Maureen Murrish
21.Valerie Sloan

No comments: