Tuesday, December 11, 2012

My NaNo Experience

Since I told everyone I was going to participate in NaNoWriMo this year, I decided to talk about the experience.  This was my first time.  Am I glad I did it?  Yes.  Was it what I expected it to be?  No.

I was super excited about joining NaNo because writing is a lonely job.  To me it sounded awesome that I would be writing at the same time as thousands of other writers, all working towards the same goal: 50,000 words in a month.  I met some new people, added some writing buddies, and used the forums.  But when it came down to the actual writing, things got quiet.  I didn't have time for forums or communicating with my writing buddies.  It was time to dig in and write.  So not much changed for me. 

I did, however, discover that having an extensive outline, bios, etc. helps.  I'm going to try to be just as organized in the future for other books.  BAIT is not finished yet.  I have about 65,000 words now, but it is just a little over halfway done.  Still a lot of writing to do.  Then comes revising, editing, and so on.  This book won't be available at least until March, probably not till April or May. 

Will I do this again next November?  I think so.  It was a positive experience for the most part, and I do have a halfway finished book now. 

Happy writing.

No comments: