Sunday, January 27, 2013

YA Indie Carnival: KDP Select

This week at the Carnival we are discussing Amazon's borrowing program called KDP Select.  If you belong to it and pay (whatever the cost to enroll) you get to borrow books for free.  The problem is they won't let authors have their books anywhere else.  It is Amazon or nothing.  Because I have fans with Nooks, not to mention people who buy my books from places like Kobo, I refuse to put my book on the KDP Select thing.  I did try it once for a short time.  Before I uploaded Witch Hunt anywhere else, I put it on Amazon and enrolled it in the program.  You have to give them exclusive rights for three months each time you enroll it.

Why did I do it?  Because Amazon allows you to offer it for free for five days for every three months enrolled.  This means people will see it and try it who otherwise wouldn't even know the book existed.  It worked.  Over a thousand downloaded it for free.  At least some of them have returned since then to buy Crushed and some of my other books.  After the three months ended I put my book on Smashwords.  As far as people borrowing it goes, not very many people have.

I also have a romantic suspense book available on KDP Select for borrowing called Pandora's Box.  Because I didn't care to put it on Smashwords or anywhere else, I've left it on Amazon's program.  Sometimes someone will borrow it.  Sometimes someone will buy it, but it is definitely not one of my best sellers.

Check out the other carnies to see what they have to say about it.

1. Laura A. H. Elliott author of Winnemucca & 13 on Halloween, Book 1 in the Teen Halloween Series
2. Bryna Butler, author Midnight Guardian series
3. Heather Self

No comments: