Saturday, February 22, 2014

Books to Movies... Which Are Better?

You've experienced it.  You read a great book, love it, and you get super excited when you hear someone in Hollywood is making it into a movie.  Then you go see it.  The story is all wrong.  How could they have left that part out???  They ruined the whole thing!  Or they hire an actor to play a part that is SO wrong for them it makes you cringe.  

Here are my list of the best and worst movies coming from favorite books.  See if you agree with my choices and reviews.



1. CITY OF BONES:  I loved the Mortal Instrument books so much.  Then I heard City of Bones was coming out.  No one was more excited than me... until I saw it.  A lot of fans were upset over the choice of actor to play Jace, but I think he was spot-on.  I could listen to his voice all day (and night), and he delivered the lines with the careless and flip, yet vulnerable attitude that is perfect for Jace.  My biggest gripe about the movie was how they screwed up the nightclub scene and added so much fluff to the beginning.  If you can make it through the first ten minutes, you'll be glad you watched by the end.  That is, if you can forget how the story is SUPPOSED to go.  

Instead of starting with the nightclub scene like the book, we are forced to sit through some quick and boring crap that seems to have been thrown in to... I don't know why.  Then we finally arrive at the nightclub scene.  This is where we are supposed to meet Jace, Alec, and Isabelle.  This is where we are supposed to find out they are Shadowhunters and that Clary can see them when no one else can.  Jace is supposed to deliver awesome lines, like when Jace says, "That is a girl, Alec," when Alec stares at Clary as if he's never seen one before.  It is supposed to be the scene that Clary distracts Jace and almost gets him killed by a blue-haired demon.  This is important because it's a reason for Alec to hate her later.  With its removal, Alec's instant and heated hatred of Clary seems weird and out of place.

Okay, I could go on and on about how much this movie disappointed me, but I don't have all night.  Instead, let's talk about what went right.  The actors playing Jace and Clary saved this film, and I hope they make a second... with a better script.

2.  HUNGER GAMES:  Please don't throw rocks at me, but I think in this case the movie was better than the book, but that's only because the books are written in present tense.  I can't stand present tense.  Just a pet peeve of mine.  The actors were good, and the settings were just as I'd visualized them.


3.  TWILIGHT:  This would be on the top of my I-Can't-Believe-I-Paid-To-Watch-This list.  That's what I was thinking the whole time I was watching it.  I don't care what other people say about it being poorly written or dumb or a waste of time, whatever.  You have to give credit where it is deserved.  Regardless of how you feel about the book (the first one), it got people reading.  I can't even begin to count the people (women and teens) who've told me Twilight got them reading or writing.  

What did I hate about the movie?  First of all, the numerous shots of the trees.  Yes, it is a beautiful place, but I would have rather they spent more time on developing characters.  Edward was a vampire for eighty years, yet we are supposed to believe he's just going to blurt the truth out.  Also, he acts like he can't talk to girls.  He was awkward around Bella.  The Edward in the book is much smoother, more believable.  I hated this movie so much that I didn't watch any of the others, and I NEVER will.

4.  HARRY POTTER:  I'm going to throw this one in because the movies (the first four anyway) are awesome.  It's funny because I prefer the first three movies to the books, but I prefer the last two books to the movies.  I remember watching the first Harry Potter movie.  It didn't seem like anything was missing even though they did change some stuff and leave other things out.  They had to or the movie would have been over four hours long.  I also think they hired the perfect cast.  

5.  BEAUTIFUL CREATURES:  Another stinker of a movie, in my opinion.  I think the book was better, although it is not a favorite of mine.

Did I forget any?  What are your favorites?  Which movies made you wish the producer couldn't read and didn't mess with?

WHAT books would I like to see them make into movies (as long as they don't screw them up)?

1.  Shiver: I think a lot could be done with this, and what's not to like about werewolves?
2.  Need: This is a story about a girl who finds out she is a pixie, and her boyfriend is a werewolf.
3.  Bait or Vampires Rule:  Would I like any of my books to be made into movies?  Only if I have a guarantee they'll turn out good.  :)

3 comments:

Obsessive Compulsive Reader said...

Agree with everything you mentioned on the list, with the exception of Harry Potter. I really didn't enjoy the first three movies :( but that's probably just me.

As for a bad book to movie adaptation -> Percy Jackson - oh man, the Lightning Thief is the worst movie adaptation ever. It seems as if they took the name Percy Jackson and left everything else out. The age of the characters are off. Annabeth looked nothing like how she was described in the books. And they dumbed down the whole plot of the book to a simple "find this and then that" quest. They even got rid of the true antagonist because... what? it would have been too complicated? Ugh. Avoid it with everything you've got!

Obsessive Compulsive Reader

Kasi Blake said...

Totally agree with you on the Percy Jackson movie. Already saw it, unfortunately. I haven't read the book yet, but it is on my TBR list. Thank you for your comment.

Anonymous said...

Yοu are so awesome! Ι don't thіnk I've read sοmething liҡе that bеfore.

Տo ɡreat tߋo discoger ѕomeone with some unique
thoughuts on tɦսs issue. Sеriously.. mɑny thankѕ for starting tҺіs սp.
TҺіs site iѕ something that іs required οn the internet, someone witҺ some originality!


Feel free tο surf to my blog :: bingo blitz hack