Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Disaster Movies

Top Ten Disaster Movie List

I love a good disaster movie. In fact, I think they are my favorite kind of movies with the running and the screaming. I enjoy getting to know the characters and then seeing who makes it and who doesn't. (These are in no particular order)



1. Independence Day: What's not to love about this movie? You've got aliens, Will Smith, fireworks, humor, and tons of action. This is one I can watch again and again. It had so many great lines I can't even begin to list them. 

2. Twister: The first time I watched this it was in the theater and the seats shook from the sound of the oncoming tornado. It was awesome. I loved the storyline about a bickering ex couple that never should have broken up.


3. Poseidon: This is the remake with Kurt Russel and Josh Lucas. It was better than the first in my opinion. Unlike the original, I thought these people had a good plan for escape: find a way outside to the water and get in a lifeboat. 

4. San Andreas: I am a huge Rock fan, so it was great to watch him saving lives during an earthquake. 

5. Deep Blue Sea: Not a disaster movie by some peoples' standards, but it was a disaster to the people trapped in an underwater building that was taking in water. Not to mention getting away from the sharks. My favorite part was watching the main character fall. If you count how many times he hits the floor, it's about ten or eleven. I forget, but it's amusing to watch.

6. Deep Impact: This one has some tear-jerker moments that make you grab for the tissue box. There were some characters I didn't care for, but overall it's a good movie.

7. Armageddon: This movie and Deep Impact are pretty much the same movie, and I used to get them confused a lot, but this one has Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck. It didn't make me cry like Deep Impact though. Sorry, Bruce. I didn't really care when your character sacrificed himself cause I was expecting it the whole time.

8. Day After Tomorrow: This disaster movie is a touch different than the rest. Memorable moments include US citizens running across the border into Mexico.

9. 2012: This is one of my faves for sure. The main character saves his ex wife and kids despite her new jealous boyfriend's reluctance. The dog survives. :)

10. Titanic: This is the only movie I didn't watch for the disaster. I enjoyed the romantic storyline between Leo and Kate too much. By the time they got to the iceberg, I was not happy. They should have just played out the love story. haha

Worst Disaster Movie: War of the Worlds (the remake with Tom Cruise): I hated this one on so many levels. It was kind of cool the way the aliens obliterated people. I was actually bored several times during this one. It lacked the suspense I've come to enjoy in disaster movies. The little girl (yes, I think she's a great little actress), but her screaming got on my nerves so bad. Part of me was hoping she'd get eaten so she'd shut up. 

Honorable Mention: Cloverfield: Most of my friends did not like this one because the camera was wobbly and unfocused. Hello? That was the point. It's like you were there with them during the alien attack. I enjoyed it.

No comments: